Independent Social Work Directory
The leading directory of insured independent social workers and independent social work and social care consultants who are bound by The British Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics and its accompanying addendum.
Note: Everyone listed in this directory is a member of The British Association of Social Workers and is bound by the Association's Code of Ethics. The British Association of Social Workers does not endorse any particular business or individual listed here.Tips for searching
Are you looking for an independent social worker or consultant?
Are you unsure what sorts of questions to ask when you are making a decision about who to instruct?
Here are a few things that you might want to check with them.
- What are their professional qualifications?
- Does their role not require them to register? Only those describing themselves as 'social workers' must be registered
- If so, Are they registered with the Care Council relevant to their country?
You can check this online and whether they have any admonishments against their
name. You can also see a copy of the Codes of Practice that they must work within.
The Councils are:
England - General Social Care Council
Wales - Care Council for Wales
Scotland - Scottish Social Services Council
Northern Ireland - Northern Ireland Social Care Council
- Do they continue to keep their knowledge up to date? What have they done about this recently?
- Do they have regular supervision or consultation with a professional adviser?
- Do they carry Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability Insurance? Can they produce a copy of the relevant certificates?
- Are they (or someone in their organisation) registered as a Data Controller under the Data Protection Act and do they take every precaution in terms of managing their/your data in accordance with the law?
- Do they have the relevant experience and understanding for the work you want them to do?
- Will that work pose any conflict of interest for them?
- What are their charges? What does that include? Do they charge VAT? When will they invoice you and how soon do you have to settle the account?